Twice in the last week, during the course of a conversation, the person I was speaking with turned to me and said, “You’re not really a Republican.”
I think part of the reason it was said in each instance was because I don’t fall lockstep into position with some of the planks with the party’s platform. Surprisingly enough, I’ve run across a fair number of people who consider themselves Republicans but, also have views on certain issues which differ from the strict party line. In my peer group and among the people I’m usually around in my profession, it’s just not fashionable to be a Republican.
Republicans are bad!
They’re just the most evil people on the face of the Earth. As a matter of fact, if you could believe much of the commentary by people who run with the pack of the donkey (I was going to use another phrase but figured it wouldn’t be right to sink to the same level), the Republicans are responsible for all of societies ills.
So today, thousands descended onto the streets of Manhattan to display they’re righteous rage.
But hey, it is after a free country (last time I checked) and even though I’m usually dismissed for my views, everyone has a right to their opinion.
There have been a bunch of acts of civil disobedience over the last several days. I had heard Friday night one demonstration culminated in the people demonstrating throwing garbage onto the police from rooftops. Got to love it, from heroes to zeros in three short years. People held firefighters and police in high esteem for their actions on September 11th and now it’s okay to throw garbage on them.
Way to make a point, folks.
Anyway, the news this evening gave a lot of coverage to both the build up to the convention and the demonstration which was held today. I loved some of the signs, one commented on the wrongheadedness of a “war for oil.” Probably drove down from Massachusetts in their SUV.
Want to change things in this country?
Hey, approximately 120,000 people managed to get it together today to demonstrate about their unhappiness - think you’d be able to round up that many to do something like feed the homeless or volunteer in a local school?
Just curious.
I watched this demonstration and the one prior to the war in Iraq and thought I saw a bunch of people who were disappointed they had missed out on the sixties.
Most of the anger and rage I’ve been seeing while I’m sure it’s genuine felt comes across as ‘posing.’ Oh are you going to the demonstration on Sunday? What are you going to wear?
It’s as if all the anger and frustration people feel can be directed at a single person.
It just doesn’t wash.
People speak about the economy but economies run in cycles and the previous administration was fortunate enough to experience the fallout of a new technology boom the likes of which hadn’t been seen in this country since the 50’s. Take away the internet boom and how good do you think the American economy was during the 90's? Also, prior to the 2000 election, the bubble had burst. The writing was on the wall and I don’t think it’s fair to lay the blame for the downturn on the administration in office now.
Terrorism? Junior took office on or about 1/16/01 and in just under nine months we had the worst attack on American soil since Pearl Harbor, you really mean to tell me this all came about in those nine months and the people in office did everything in their power to ignore it at the peril of the American people? Do you really mean that?
Did anyone think something so horrific as flying planes into the sides of buildings as a terrorist act could’ve happened before that day? (by the way, if you go back and watch the John Carpenter movie Escape from New York, you’ll see a plane crashing into a skyscraper and a glider landing on top of the World Trade Center).
Here’s another one for you (which I had also heard in recent weeks), if the guy had gotten up from reading to a class of children he could’ve somehow changed the course of history.
Look, let’s get real.
Today, I saw the junior Senator from my state on TV doing her level best to pour rain on the parade. Funny thing was I remember the biggest accomplishment she was supposed to achieve at one time was the reform of the health care system. People seem to forget what a failure that was.
The other senator from our state doesn’t appear to like taking a back seat to his colleague but it seems as if he’s given little choice. And of course, when it’s coyly suggested during the rounds this morning if the donkey’s favorite son can’t get it done this year, well, then maybe she could be the candidate designate next time around. Oh, pshaw! Let’s just talk about this election - wouldn’t it just be so horrible should Kerry lose this time round.
It makes me sick.
(more on this when I have the energy)
No comments:
Post a Comment